Publicist at The Australian Ballet
The Australian Ballet is one of the world’s busiest ballet companies, presenting up to 200 mainstage performances a year. The company has 70 full-time dancers, and is jointly led by Artistic Director David McAllister and incoming Executive Director Libby Christie. Our motto is Caring for tradition, daring to be different and we strive to achieve excellence on both sides of the curtain.
We are seeking an experienced Publicist to join our small, hardworking Media Relations team. The primary responsibility of this role is to secure national media coverage for our mainstage seasons (up to 13 each year) through the implementation of creative, targeted media strategies that drive ticket sales.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in either public relations or communications and 3+ years’ experience in publicity, with arts experience preferred. This role includes frequent national travel with some irregular hours. The ideal candidate will have excellent communications skills, both written and verbal, the ability to juggle competing priorities and deadlines and maintain positive relationships with media.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Contribute to the strategic planning of media coverage to stimulate required responses from key market segments and stakeholders
- Generate compelling and creative story angles that positively promote the company’s activities across all media
- Conduct publicity campaigns in support of The Australian Ballet’s national and international performance seasons
- Maintain close relationships with key arts media and remain up to date with a fast moving media landscape
1. A Bachelor’s degree in either public relations or communications and a minimum of 3+ years’ practical experience in publicity – arts experience preferred
2. A demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines and undertake media campaigns with minimal supervision
3. A strong knowledge of the Australian media landscape and how journalists work
4. Excellent oral and written communication skills
5. Demonstrated flexibility and creativity in running publicity campaigns
Please send your resume and cover letter, along with a brief statement in answer to each of the Selection Criteria, to Media Relations Manager Nicole Lovelock by COB Friday 14 June 2013 at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shortlisted applicants may be contacted prior to the closing date.